Laying the Foundations for Success – Great Traits for Bar Managers

Hospitality Managers have the difficult job of balancing the wants and needs of establishment owners, employees, and customers. A great manager can juggle customer satisfaction with a multitude of ever changing tasks each and every day, all while helping to support a busy staff, boosting sales and performance, and keeping an eye to the health and safety of patrons. Nightclub & Bar recently released an article titled, “How Bar Managers Can Succeed,” and we here at TAM® of Nevada wholeheartedly agree with the attributes they list as key for bar managers. You can read the full article here, and here are a couple more qualities that we’d add to the list:

  1. A passion for excellence. A great manager not only has a desire to lead, he or she takes pride in the service or product offered, and inspires the staff to put their best foot forward.
  2. Flexibility. In a busy and fast-paced world like Las Vegas’ hospitality industry, a manager who can roll with the punches is invaluable. Not everything will always go according to plan, and a manager who is adaptable and can be flexible is in the best position for success.

Sometimes it’s the little things that make the biggest difference. What insider tips would you give someone looking to excel the in hospitality industry? What tips would you give someone looking to improve their management skills?


© 2011 National Hospitality Institute®, TAM® of Nevada


Call It What You May … Alcohol Awareness Card … Alcohol Education Card … Drink Card … But There’s Only One TAM Card!

Did you know that Nevada is one of only 18 states with mandatory alcohol awareness training required for service professionals? (Alcohol Policy Information System). Training classes and drink cards are required here for just about anyone who deals with the sale of alcohol on the job. It is important for service professionals to know the basics of the laws governing the training that they are required to take.

A business can face serious fines for not complying with alcohol education laws, so making sure your training is legit, and that you’re in compliance, is crucial. Service professionals often have a list of common concerns. Is my awareness program state-approved and does the training delivery and content meet state requirements? How often do I have to renew my card? And, taking it a step further, how do other states handle liquor sale laws and training? We’re happy to spill all the details!

In comparison with the rest of the United States, Nevada has relatively liberal alcohol laws. According to Wikipedia, “bars are permitted to remain open 24 hours, with no “last call”. Liquor stores, convenience stores and supermarkets may also sell alcohol 24 hours per day, and may sell beer, wine and spirits.” Local governments in Nevada may have more restrictive regulations than the state. Additionally, Nevada is one of only 10 states that does not impose dram shop liability – what that means is that a service professional or business that over-serves an intoxicated person cannot be held liable if that person injures themselves or someone else after leaving the bar. (Marin Institute). To compare and contrast Nevada’s laws regarding alcohol sales and service with those around the country, you can refer to this chart supplied by Wikipedia. Laws vary greatly not only by state, but sometimes from county to county, so a server should always be aware of the regulations where they are working or planning to work. TAM® provides you the scoop on the local regs whether you work in Clark County or in Sparks.

Given the liberal laws mentioned above, Nevada made a decision to ensure service professionals act as the gatekeepers to sales and service. Nevada’s approach ensures that a well-educated server is familiar with alcohol’s effects on the body and can recognize the dangerous signs of over-intoxication. Just because you cannot legally be held liable for over serving someone, does not mean that you are not morally responsible if someone gets killed or injured. Furthermore, a responsible server knows when to refuse a sale, and that can be one of the most important steps to preventing alcohol-related accidents and fatalities. You wouldn’t want your pharmacist to not be trained in the medications he prescribes you, so why not apply the same thought process to a bartender? Alcohol is a regulated substance too; those who dispense it should be trained about its effects.

Alcohol Awareness Training is required in Nevada Counties with a population of 400,000 or more for almost all service professionals. You can refer to the Nevada Legislature website to read the laws, and for details on who is governed by them. The Nevada Commission on Postsecondary Education is the agency charged with approving and regulating schools to provide alcohol awareness training. You should ALWAYS check with the Commission to see if a program you are considering is approved, a list of approved programs is available on their website.

For additional statistics and information on what to look for in a training program, you can read our blog post, “Did You Know That In Nevada Alcohol Education Cards Expire After Four Years?” For more information on beverage service training programs regulated around the country, you can refer to the Alcohol Policy Information System provided by the NIAAA.

There are several providers out there of credible and effective alcohol awareness training, but TAM® of Nevada is the only authorized provider of the TAM card®. TAM® of Nevada has been an approved provider of alcohol awareness education and a provider of alcohol education cards for more than 25 years, and we hope to continue educating Nevada’s sales professionals for a long time to come!

Are you compliant with Nevada’s alcohol and hospitality laws? Do you think Nevada should be doing more to regulate sales and service?


© 2011 National Hospitality Institute®, TAM® of Nevada

Did You Know That In Nevada Alcohol Education Cards Expire After Four Years?

Over 200,000 hospitality and service workers are employed in Clark County, most whom are required, by state law, to receive Alcoholic Beverage Awareness Training and carry an Alcohol Education Card. The Alcoholic Beverage Awareness Training Program is required for those who serve/sell alcoholic beverages or provide security services in casinos, restaurants, bars, clubs, and grocery/convenience stores in Clark and Washoe County. Many establishments also require anyone who handles alcoholic beverages and their managers and executive staff to carry cards.

The State of Nevada passed a law on July 1, 2007 which requires card holders to renew their training and be issued a new card every four years or four years from the date of issuance (testing). Thousands of cards have been issued over the years in the State of Nevada and may have invalid expiration dates from a former Clark County law that required training and card renewal every five years. 

Therefore, anyone who works in the industry and carries an Alcohol Education Card for their job should check the date that their card was issued. Cards issued by approved providers in 2005, 2006, and the first half of 2007 are either already expired and need to be renewed or will be up for renewal sooner than the expiration date that is shown on the card.  If it’s been more than four years, then it is time to take the training again and get a new card.

Important points as you consider how this information affects you:

  • Providers of the Alcoholic Beverage Awareness Training program and Alcohol Education Cards must be approved through Nevada’s Commission on Postsecondary Education. Cards issued by providers and provider locations not on the approved provider list could be deemed invalid.
  • If an auditor asks to see your card and it is expired, your employer (the licensee) could end up facing civil fines ranging from $500 to $5000 depending on the number of infractions. Your employer could fire you for not having a valid Alcohol Education Card. Keep in good standing with your employer and avoid potential job loss by making sure that your card is valid and up-to-date.
  • Training can be taken online if the provider has an approved online program.
  • All students must physically go to the provider’s approved school location to take an exam that is proctored and pass the proctored exam with a score of at least 75%.
  • Some employers have preferred providers that offer corporate discounts. Check with your employer before you register.
  • The program must be approved by the Commission on Postsecondary Education and should be no less than 3½ hours in duration, covering topics as specified for the approved program.

Applicable laws and sources of information can be found through the following URLs:

© 2010 National Hospitality Institute®, TAM® of Nevada