Every day, 28 people in the United States die in crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver. This amounts to about one death every 51 minutes (CDC). And, drunk driving is only part of the problem. 3 in 10 adults in the United States are heavy or at-risk drinkers. They are drinking at levels that put them at risk for alcoholism, liver disease, and other problems (NIAAA).
As a TAM Card® holder, you can do your part to help cut these numbers. You have the skills to promote safe beverage service and minimize the chances that someone will be over served and get behind the wheel.
April is Alcohol Awareness Month, and this is a great opportunity to showcase your training. This month, let’s talk about it! Help raise awareness about alcohol abuse and encourage people to make healthy choices.
A great first step is to visit our website or our office to get or renew your official TAM® Card. In addition to our regularly scheduled TAM® Classes available in Las Vegas five days a week, the newly revamped online course is also available online 24/7.
Other events in April include:
- Final exams are offered at our Las Vegas office and several authorized locations across Nevada. View our exam schedule to find the option that works best for you.
- Alcohol awareness class and final exams for online students will be available in Mesquite at the Virgin River Hotel Casino on Wednesday, April 18th. This event is repeated the third Wednesday of every month.
- Class will be offered in Spanish in Las Vegas on Thursday, April 19th at 9:00am. Walk-ins are welcome. This event is repeated the third Thursday of every month.
How will you promote safe choices this April?
It’s spring time in Las Vegas, and the always popular Electric Daisy Carnival festival is right around the corner. Volunteers and employees will descend onto the festival grounds at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway from May 18-20 to help serve and sell alcoholic beverages to attendees. If you’re planning to work this event, make sure you are prepared. Alcohol awareness cards are required for anyone selling or serving alcoholic beverages for any length of time, including special one-time events and festivals… and the TAM® Card is the number one choice of employers in Las Vegas.
We’re offering a special discount code for anyone who needs to get their TAM Card for the Electric Daisy Carnival. Use promo code EDC2018 for 10% off your alcohol awareness training and TAM Card when you register at www.tamnevada.com. Whether you prefer to complete your course online or in our classroom, we’ve got you covered.
To register for a class and get your TAM Card, visit our website today.
Discount expires: 5/20/18
Selling salon customers a glass of wine or a beer might be permitted soon in Clark County. The County is considering a plan that would allow salons and barber shops to apply for an ‘ancillary drink permit’ that would allow for the sale of two servings at a time of beer or wine.
Many visitors to Nevada are looking for this service, which they are more familiar with in their hometowns. At least seven states have approved alcohol service at salons, barbershops and spas, according to the National Conference of State Legislators (Las Vegas Sun). Many business owners see the value in creating a full-service relaxing experience for their salon guests. They see the chance to add another source of revenue to their businesses, and to offer something fun and unique to their customers.
If the measure passes, what would that mean for employees who sell or serve alcohol in these salons and barbershops? In Clark County, anyone who works in a position where they serve alcoholic beverages to customers is required to take an alcohol awareness course and obtain a TAM® Card. County Commissioners will next meet on March 6th to continue discussing the proposal. If approved, you can be sure that we will be happy to provide alcohol awareness training for all of your employees.
To learn more about safe beverage service, you can take our online Techniques of Alcohol Management (TAM)® course.
What do you think? Would you like to see salons and barbershops in the Las Vegas area begin offering beer and wine?
County considers beer, wine sales at hair salons – Las Vegas Sun
Las Vegas kicked off the New Year in high style with parties at all of the hottest spots around town. Now, it’s time to get back to work! 2018 can be the year to resolve to make changes in your career, education and business. Still thinking about what your resolution will be? We have some ideas to get you started. Here are our suggestions for meaningful New Year’s resolutions that you can actually stick to:
- Renew your TAM Card and get trained the right way, with the best curriculum available. Whether you’re renewing your expiring card, or getting your very first TAM® Card, get your mandatory alcohol education at one of our online or on-site classes.
- Expand your draw with new bartending skills. Try learning some simple flair bartending techniques to add another job skill to your tool belt, and impress your guests with your new talent.
- Resolve to begin the search to find your dream job. Start out by watching for local job fairs, or take your resume to establishments you would be interested in working at. Read out blog post “Job Searching in Las Vegas? Ace Your Next Hospitality Industry Job Interview” for tips on making the most of your job search and nailing the interview. And remember to check out the local job posting board at our office when you come in to pick up your TAM Card. We work with lots of local employers to share their hospitality job openings with our TAM students.
- Take your customer service skills to the next level. Wow both your patrons and your boss with a fresh new outlook, positive attitude, and dedication to providing excellent service. As a bonus, projecting a positive attitude will help YOU to relax and enjoy your job! Read “Qualities of a Top-Notch Service Professional” for more tips.
- Brainstorm new ideas, deals, or events for your establishment to kick start sales and draw in new patrons. There are many reasons why establishments can see a sales dip, but hard work and creative thinking can pay off big for your business. Start by making a list of holidays that could merit a celebration, new menu items to promote with special deals, and make sure you have an active and effective presence on social media channels to connect with your customers. Check Out “Are Your Happy Hour Deals Falling Flat? New Ideas to Boost Your Bar Sales” or “Promotions and Marketing: Hosting a Bar Trivia Night” for more ideas to help you get started.
Wishing a Happy New Year to all from TAM® of Nevada. What is your New Year’s Resolution?