Selling salon customers a glass of wine or a beer might be permitted soon in Clark County. The County is considering a plan that would allow salons and barber shops to apply for an ‘ancillary drink permit’ that would allow for the sale of two servings at a time of beer or wine.
Many visitors to Nevada are looking for this service, which they are more familiar with in their hometowns. At least seven states have approved alcohol service at salons, barbershops and spas, according to the National Conference of State Legislators (Las Vegas Sun). Many business owners see the value in creating a full-service relaxing experience for their salon guests. They see the chance to add another source of revenue to their businesses, and to offer something fun and unique to their customers.
If the measure passes, what would that mean for employees who sell or serve alcohol in these salons and barbershops? In Clark County, anyone who works in a position where they serve alcoholic beverages to customers is required to take an alcohol awareness course and obtain a TAM® Card. County Commissioners will next meet on March 6th to continue discussing the proposal. If approved, you can be sure that we will be happy to provide alcohol awareness training for all of your employees.
To learn more about safe beverage service, you can take our online Techniques of Alcohol Management (TAM)® course.
What do you think? Would you like to see salons and barbershops in the Las Vegas area begin offering beer and wine?
County considers beer, wine sales at hair salons – Las Vegas Sun
Good news for TAM Students in Las Vegas. Starting on Saturday, February 17th, we’re offering in-person alcohol awareness card classes every Saturday at 10:00am. Our students requested a convenient start-time on Saturdays, and we’re happy to oblige. Join us for the only instructor-led alcohol awareness class offered on Saturdays in Las Vegas. Students will be able to take their mandatory training and get their TAM Card right at the end of the class. As always, students can sign up for a class on our website, or register right at the door before class starts.
Saturday mornings aren’t convenient for you? No worries! For your convenience, we’re open six days a week, with classes and final exams to meet your busy schedule. We also offer online training, available 24/7 at the TAM of Nevada website. Stop in to pick up your TAM Card and say hello!
Las Vegas kicked off the New Year in high style with parties at all of the hottest spots around town. Now, it’s time to get back to work! 2018 can be the year to resolve to make changes in your career, education and business. Still thinking about what your resolution will be? We have some ideas to get you started. Here are our suggestions for meaningful New Year’s resolutions that you can actually stick to:
- Renew your TAM Card and get trained the right way, with the best curriculum available. Whether you’re renewing your expiring card, or getting your very first TAM® Card, get your mandatory alcohol education at one of our online or on-site classes.
- Expand your draw with new bartending skills. Try learning some simple flair bartending techniques to add another job skill to your tool belt, and impress your guests with your new talent.
- Resolve to begin the search to find your dream job. Start out by watching for local job fairs, or take your resume to establishments you would be interested in working at. Read out blog post “Job Searching in Las Vegas? Ace Your Next Hospitality Industry Job Interview” for tips on making the most of your job search and nailing the interview. And remember to check out the local job posting board at our office when you come in to pick up your TAM Card. We work with lots of local employers to share their hospitality job openings with our TAM students.
- Take your customer service skills to the next level. Wow both your patrons and your boss with a fresh new outlook, positive attitude, and dedication to providing excellent service. As a bonus, projecting a positive attitude will help YOU to relax and enjoy your job! Read “Qualities of a Top-Notch Service Professional” for more tips.
- Brainstorm new ideas, deals, or events for your establishment to kick start sales and draw in new patrons. There are many reasons why establishments can see a sales dip, but hard work and creative thinking can pay off big for your business. Start by making a list of holidays that could merit a celebration, new menu items to promote with special deals, and make sure you have an active and effective presence on social media channels to connect with your customers. Check Out “Are Your Happy Hour Deals Falling Flat? New Ideas to Boost Your Bar Sales” or “Promotions and Marketing: Hosting a Bar Trivia Night” for more ideas to help you get started.
Wishing a Happy New Year to all from TAM® of Nevada. What is your New Year’s Resolution?
Happy Holidays from TAM of Nevada! Best wishes for a happy holiday season and rocking New Year. We’ve prepared a special video message to celebrate the season.
If you need to renew your card before the New Year, we’re here to help. Don’t delay; make sure you are able to obtain your card in time. Our office will be closed on select dates through the holidays. Please check the schedule below to see our holiday hours.
Remember, we also offer final exams for online students who take their alcohol awareness course online. Or, check our class schedule to find a time that works for you.
Best wishes for a happy holiday season, and we look forward to seeing you again in the New Year!