Every day, almost 30 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver. This amounts to one death every 50 minutes (CDC). As a TAM Card® holder, you can do your part to help cut that number in the future. You have the skills to promote safe beverage service and minimize the chances that someone will be over served and get behind the wheel.
At TAM® of Nevada, we like to promote responsible service year-round. Spread the message that April is Alcohol Awareness Month, and this is a great opportunity to further reflect on safe service choices and showcase your training.
Alcohol Awareness Month was founded by the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence (NCADD) and further sponsored by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). This national date is an opportunity to raise awareness about alcohol abuse, reflect on consumption, and encourage people to make healthy choices.
This month we encourage you to visit our website or our office to renew or obtain your official TAM® Card. In addition to our regularly scheduled TAM® Classes available in Las Vegas six days a week, the TAM® course is also available online 24/7. Additional special offerings and scheduled events in April include:
- Final exams are offered at our Las Vegas office and several other locations across Nevada, as a convenience to our online customers. View our exam schedule to find the option that works best for you.
- Alcohol awareness class and final exams for online students will be available in Mesquite at the Virgin River Hotel Casino on Wednesday, April 17th. This event is repeated the third Wednesday of every month.
- Class will be offered in Spanish in Las Vegas on Thursday, April 18th at 10:00am. Walk-ins are welcome. This event is repeated the third Thursday of every month.
How will you promote safe choices this April?
One requirement for servers and sellers of alcoholic beverages in southern Nevada, including Las Vegas, is to complete an alcohol awareness course and obtain an alcohol awareness card before starting work. What you may not know is that all courses are not created equal. So, how do you choose?
Under Nevada law, individuals can choose an online or a classroom-based course, as long as it is approved by the Nevada Commission on Postsecondary Education. Luckily, TAM® of Nevada is approved to offer both online and classroom-based training, and is the only official provider of TAM® Cards in the state of Nevada.
We are often asked if our online TAM® course meets the same requirements as the classroom course. The answer is YES. We are proud to offer a course that’s not only available online 24/7, but a course that’s also fun, informative, and that will prepare you for your career in the hospitality industry. Here are some additional benefits of an online alcohol awareness course:
- Online training (also called eLearning) resonates with the busy and connected Millennial generation. Learners today are looking for a learning experience that lets them think and participate in finding the important information… as well as discovering why it is important to them. As opposed to a speaker in a traditional classroom-based environment, an online course lets students be more involved in the learning process and pacing.
- Location becomes unimportant. When going beyond the classroom, a course provider can ensure equal access to the same materials and learning experience, regardless of where a student is located. With an online course, students can be sure that they’ll receive the same great quality training that their friends and coworkers have also received – no worries about finding the best instructor or arranging a schedule for commuting to class. Just plug in, connect to the Internet, find a comfortable spot to work, and begin!
- eLearning can be adapted for a variety of schedules. Night and weekends shifts and busy lifestyles shouldn’t stop a learner from finding a convenient time to take a class. Taking the time to attend a class after a long day at work or on a Saturday morning isn’t always appealing. The ability to plug in to an online alcohol awareness course 24/7, and to complete the course at one’s own pace means not only are students better able to fit in the time to complete their courses, they are better able to focus and actually learn the necessary content when it is convenient for them.
Want to learn more about the course content and demo the online TAM course? Check out our course demo, and see if it is right for you! You’ll be able to see the interface, test out the navigation, and review several of the course topics and videos included in the full version of the course.