Take the Opportunity to Promote Las Vegas as a Safe Vacation Spot and Make the Most of 150,000 Visitors
The Consumer Electronic Show (CES) is one of the biggest draws of the year in Las Vegas. Why not make the most of being on center stage to show visitors from all over the world all that Vegas has to offer? Taxi companies are planning to get more drivers on the streets, hotel room prices have skyrocketed for the week, and establishments all over town are preparing to face huge crowds of patrons looking for food, drink, quality service, and a good time.
If you’re planning to work during the course of the event, it presents a great opportunity to make a king’s ransom in tip money, and wow your guests at the same time. Are you looking for ways to get bigger tips? One thing that can set you apart from other cocktail servers and bartenders is sharing some of the Vegas inside scoop with your guests. Your guests may be in town for a business function, but you can help make their visit memorable with prompt service, extra attention and a few simple suggestions. Your guests will certainly appreciate your ability to make recommendations on parties, places to go to after dinner, or any packages or special events for conference attendees.
- Promote Las Vegas as a safe vacation spot. Helping to steer visitors towards sights and attractions that are fun, appealing and safe is a great way to share all that the city has to offer. With safety first in mind, encourage visitors not to walk alone at night and to stay on the strip. The Nevada Commission on Tourism’s website also has a wealth of helpful information and resources for popular attractions. Hopefully, visitors will return home to tell their friends what a great time they had! By sharing what the great state of Nevada has to offer, you can not only impress your guests and help them to enjoy a memorable experience, but hopefully they’ll spread the word, and that benefits everyone in the long run.
- Make suggestions to your guests for visiting popular spots around town. As a local, you can capitalize on your knowledge of what is going on in and around town. You may want to suggest use of the Las Vegas monorail, trolleys, free trams, and free shuttles. Visitors will expect crowds and having a variety of options to get around will be helpful. And, why not promote the free shows and attractions around town? Suggest checking out the fountain shows, the Fremont Street experience, the Volcano at the Mirage, the Show in the Sky at the Rio, and any other free or low cost attractions that might be worth a visit. Many guests will also appreciate your insider knowledge about where locals like the hang out, off the beaten path sites to visit, etc.
- Always practice safe alcohol sales and service. The lessons you learn in your TAM® course will help you to serve responsibly. A well-educated server is familiar with alcohol’s effects on the body and can recognize the dangerous signs of over-intoxication. Watch how much you are serving and how often. You can help to cut down on the number of over-intoxicated individuals who ruin the atmosphere for others, or potentially harm themselves. Also, call a cab for any inebriated drivers on your premises. Keeping them off the road helps keep us all safe.
How are you planning to make the most of the CES crowds?
- More Taxis on the Streets for Upcoming Conventions – Vegas Inc.
- $632 for a Room? Must Be Time for CES
- Nevada Commission on Tourism
© 2012 National Hospitality Institute®, TAM® of Nevada