Working at a salon or barber shop? Soon you may need a TAM Card.

hair_salon_beer_wineSelling salon customers a glass of wine or a beer might be permitted soon in Clark County. The County is considering a plan that would allow salons and barber shops to apply for an ‘ancillary drink permit’ that would allow for the sale of two servings at a time of beer or wine.

Many visitors to Nevada are looking for this service, which they are more familiar with in their hometowns. At least seven states have approved alcohol service at salons, barbershops and spas, according to the National Conference of State Legislators (Las Vegas Sun). Many business owners see the value in creating a full-service relaxing experience for their salon guests. They see the chance to add another source of revenue to their businesses, and to offer something fun and unique to their customers.

If the measure passes, what would that mean for employees who sell or serve alcohol in these salons and barbershops? In Clark County, anyone who works in a position where they serve alcoholic beverages to customers is required to take an alcohol awareness course and obtain a TAM® Card. County Commissioners will next meet on March 6th to continue discussing the proposal. If approved, you can be sure that we will be happy to provide alcohol awareness training for all of your employees.

To learn more about safe beverage service, you can take our online Techniques of Alcohol Management (TAM)® course.

What do you think? Would you like to see salons and barbershops in the Las Vegas area begin offering beer and wine?


County considers beer, wine sales at hair salons – Las Vegas Sun

A Reminder about Responsible Beverage Service

The City of Reno Has Suspended Alcohol Licenses for Several Businesses for Selling Alcohol to Minors.

In an effort to stop the sale of alcohol to minors in the Reno area, the City of Reno and the Reno Police Department have worked together to suspend liquor licenses for sixteen area businesses after conducting compliance checks and decoy operations (KTNV). The Reno Police Department’s Street Enforcement Team routinely conducts decoy operations and checks for alcohol awareness cards, and these suspensions are an extension of the work they are doing to protect local teens, and the rest of the community. These events should serve as a reminder to hospitality professionals and service workers that it is imperative to always check identification when serving or selling alcoholic beverages. Discussion with some of our TAM® Students about this news has resulted in some great reminders that we’d like to pass on to others regarding ID checking.

  • Become TAM® certified and make sure that your alcohol awareness training is up to date. TAM® will train you on how to correctly check identification and how to spot fake, borrowed, or altered ID. Also remember that TAM® Cards expire after four years, contact TAM® of Nevada if you need to renew your training. Officials may ask to see your alcohol awareness card during an alcohol compliance check.
  • Check ID closely – When checking the birth date of a customer, don’t rely only on the birth year to confirm someone is of legal drinking age. Also check the birth day and month on a license to guarantee you are serving legally! Minors may try to pull a fast one on busy or distracted service workers by purchasing alcohol just short of their 21st birthdays. For more tips on ID checking, visit our blog post, “Are Minors Using Fake IDs and Sneaking Past You?
  • A hole punched into a driver license renders it invalid for identification purposes. As explained by a representative at the DMV Office, the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles may hole-punch driver licenses and identification cards in order to make them easily identifiable as invalidated. This can occur when someone renews their license, transfers an out-of-state license, or a variety of other scenarios. The DMV will mail the new license to the individual within 10 working days, so this is just a temporary situation for license holders. When an identification card is invalidated at the time of license renewal, the DMV will issue a temporary paper document with information matching the punched-out driver license. Please note, the interim document for a driver license or an ID card only serves as a confirmation that the application is pending; it is not a form of identification (Nevada DMV). Check with your employer for company policy on acceptable ID policy. Each business must decide if the interim document, along with an invalidated driver license or ID card, will be accepted for cashing checks, buying liquor, and other transactions (Nevada DMV). In cases such as this, establishments may wish to err on the side of caution and request another form of valid identification such as a passport or military ID.

What are some tricks that you’ve seen used by fake ID holders? How else do you think service workers can help curb teen drinking?


© 2012 National Hospitality Institute®, TAM® of Nevada